Service Tip: When Do I Need PIC and RID for the Sunny Portal?

This post was originally published in 2015. The tips and techniques explained may be outdated.

Via our comments function, we frequently receive questions about registering in Sunny Portal and entering the product identification code (PIC) and the registration identifier (RID).

Important: The PIC and RID are required only if you own a system with Webconnect technology or with a Sunny Home Manager. You can find out how to register your system in Sunny Portal in this post. If you have another communication product, such as a Sunny WebBox or a Cluster Controller, you will not be required to enter a PIC or RID. With the Sunny WebBox and the SMA Cluster Controller, you can register the devices in Sunny Portal directly via the web interface. Further information can be found in the user manual.

Using the Sunny Portal app

Some customers have told us that they cannot get the Sunny Portal app to work and have requested a password to use it. Please note: To be able to use the Sunny Portal app, the system must already be registered in the Sunny Portal. You can then use the same login details for the app. Further information about the app can be found here.

Service Tip: When Do I Need PIC and RID for the Sunny Portal?
Rate this post

Tags: ,
  1. Patrick Besso says:

Hi Sarah
    Sorry to bother you, but just a quick question. My display panel’s backlight is on all the time, which I don’t want. How can I turn it off? My neighbour, who had his put in at the same time as me, has his off, which is how I know that on is not the default setting.
    Unfortunately, I can’t use Sunny Explorer with my Android or IOS devices, maybe that’s the problem?

2. Adam Lewis says:

I have a SI 3.0M-11 from Germany that I’m trying to add to my sunny portal. The label doesn’t have the PIC or RID on it. Is there another way to determine this information?

• Viktoria Mai
      Viktoria Mai says:

Hello Adam,

the SI has no PIC and RID. Therefore it is not possible to add the SI in a webconnect system in the portal. You need depending on whether you have an OnGird or OffGird system a Homemanger or a ClusterController. Please turn to your installer who will be able to advise you about your installation.

3. Stéphane says:

i have a Sunny Boy 3000 and i don’t find the pic and rid codes,
    However i have a com card with a com bounds, the Eeprom firmware is : “SBGR BFR2,8 SRR 2.8”
    Could you tell me if is possible to me to have webconnect ?

Best regards Stéphane

• Carolin Rost
      Carolin Rost says:

Hello Stéphane,
      Unfortunately, this inverter doesn’t have WebConnect and therefore doesn’t have a PIC and RID number too. We can also offer no retrofit kit for this device.
      Kind Regards, Carolin

4. Steve GS says:

I have an SB 1700 inverter and a Sunny Beam reader (firmware version 1.00.7.R). I have about 5 years worth of data (system installed in UK at latitude 52 deg N 2.5 deg W in February 2012). Is there any way I can register my system with you and upload the CSV data from the Sunny Beam? I do not want the system to be connected to the web, but I’m prepared to update this information periodically. Thank you.

5. Fernando says:

I have a SMA INVERTER MANAGER IM-10 from Brazil that I’m trying to add to the sunny portal. The label doesn’t have the PIC or RID on it. Is there another way to determine this information?