Claiming your SolarCoins on Sunny Portal

[March 27, 2019 update on “How can SolarCoins be claimed through Sunny Portal?”] Operators and owners of PV plants connected via Webconnect or Sunny Home Manager to Sunny Portal can now get an additional reward for their produced clean energy. With only a few clicks you get access to SolarCoin, the first energy-referenced currency.

What is SolarCoin?

SolarCoin, a blockchain-based crypto currency, was developed with a view to accelerating the energy transition. Like the networks for other cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, the SolarCoin network is global and decentralized. In this case, however, the payout of SolarCoins is linked to a meaningful, cost-effective and environmentally friendly incentive: the generation of solar power.

SolarCoin is an open community project that was initiated in 2014 by founders of the SolarCoin Foundation and a group of volunteers. The SolarCoin Foundation rewards solar power generation by issuing blockchain-based digital tokens. One SolarCoin (SLR) is issued for each megawatt hour (MWh) of verified solar power production.

The SolarCoin reward is an additional bonus to existing incentive programs and is independent of other feed-in tariffs in place for solar power producers. Anyone who generates solar power and, as a result, avoids generating CO2 emissions in the long run can earn SolarCoins.

How can SolarCoins be claimed through Sunny Portal?

Through Sunny Portal it’s incredibly easy to claim your SolarCoins because you don’t need to submit all the documentation typically required for registration to provide evidence of the PV system’s ownership status, technical data, power generation capacity and identity. If you have one or more PV systems registered in Sunny Portal and want to claim SolarCoins, just log in to www.sunnyportal.com/en with your e-mail address and password. To register your PV system for the SolarCoin program, you need admin rights for your system. If you don’t have them yet, please ask your installer.
Once you are logged-in, open “PV system properties” in the “configuration” part of the menu on the left side of your screen. To ensure the Foundation can perform data matching, please provide your complete system data. In some countries, the field “Country code” is somewhat confusing. It must also be filled in, so please enter for example the state, your district, department or country. On the next screen go to the tab “Data releases” to the right:

On the “Data releases” page, click the “Edit” button to change the settings and then check the “Consent to participate in the SolarCoin program” box:

Agree to the terms and conditions displayed and don’t forget to click on the “Save” button afterwards:

Now, the SolarCoin tile will appear in your PV system overview. After the status on the tile shows “SolarCoinApproved”, it might still take some time until you receive your first SolarCoins as the SolarCoin Foundation will need time to complete transfer of the coins. After that, your credit balance will be updated at regular intervals (depending on the size of the system the interval can be several months). If you register your system via Sunny Portal, you don´t need to register the system separately with the SolarCoin Foundation or the SolarCoin Explorer. Duplicate registration will prevent you from participating in the SolarCoin program. By the way: starting in April, the interval for crediting your SolarCoins will be shortened from every six month to monthly. Get the current SolarCoin price here.
A digital SolarCoin “wallet” is no longer necessary to submit a claim. The SolarCoin Foundation will manage users’ SolarCoins until they decide to redeem them.

How can SolarCoins be used?

SolarCoins can be traded for conventional (fiat) currency on all major exchange portals (Bittrex/Lykke, etc.). SolarCoins are an increasingly liquid valuable that can be paid out and tracked transparently. They are kept in digital wallets, can be managed on computers or mobile devices and can even be stored offline in paper form (paper wallet). The SolarCoin community is constantly evaluating use cases and business models for SolarCoin users.

If the project is successful and the demand for and price of SolarCoins rises, the digital incentive will increasingly represent an ever more significant share of a solar power producer’s revenues. Solar power can be sold or used as normal, with SolarCoin acting as an added bonus.

Solar industry companies are also encouraged to accept SolarCoins as a means of payment for their goods and services at the current exchange rate, which is listed on all well-known portals. At SMA, we are also exploring possibilities to make further use of SolarCoins, for example by providing additional services that can be paid for using SolarCoins.

Does the creation of SolarCoins use a lot of energy?

If users decide to use SolarCoins as a means of payment, they are making a conscious effort to prioritize environmental protection as the basis of their business activities. The SolarCoin blockchain uses an energy-efficient, proof-of-stake algorithm, which consumes 0.001% of the energy required by Bitcoin.

If you want to find out more about SolarCoin go to https://solarcoin.org/faqs/

Claiming your SolarCoins on Sunny Portal
4.4 (88%) 25 vote[s]

Tags:
  1. Avatar
    Niko Miaoulis says:

Why don’t I have the option to participate in the SolarCoin initiative on the Sunny Portal?
    I don’t have the option in the Data Releases section.

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hi Niko,
      In which country is your PV plant installed? I´m asking, because there are a few countries in which the function is not available for regulatory reasons e.g. blocking of the country or embargo measures by the US government.
      Kind regards, Anke

Konstantinos Gkarakis says:

Hello, I suppose that Niko is from Greece and I have the same problem.

Shahzaib says:

Hi Anke,

Please share with us the names of the countries where the service is available.

• Maria Simone Aydin
        Maria Simone Aydin says:

Hi Shahzaib,

you zhave to search the information on the page solarcoin.org, we are not responsible for it.
        Thanks.
        Maria

2. Avatar
    Esa Aarnio says:

I had at first trouble in “Consent” checkbox – reason: not all address fields were filled in PV System Data.

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hi Esa,
      The correct data is crucial for claiming SolarCoins. The foundation checks it based on satellite data.
      Kind regards, Anke

3. Avatar
    Michael Wybo says:

Hello which user rights is it needed to access these settings ?
    Have I to ask the installer to do this ?

Thanks

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hi Michael,
      You´re right, you need the installer rights to access the settings. The best way is to ask your installer to do it for you. Unfortunately, this is the only way, but we´ll keep you informed if it changes.
      Kind regards, Anke

4. Avatar
    Jan Ruijgrok says:

Hello,

I own an installation 4600 KWH with two SMA TL2100 – unfortunetly a bit too old, so I can’t use webconnect and Sunny Home or Portal.
    How can I claim SolarCoins?

• Maria Simone Aydin
      Maria Simone Aydin says:

Hello Jan,

you need to register via the Solarcoin website (solarcoin.org) OR wait until we have a solution. This is not bad, because retroactive to 2010 (if the system is not younger), the income will be considered.

Kinds regards,
      Maria

5. Avatar
    Mark says:

I cannot sign up for the solarcoin; “Participation in the SolarCoin program could not be saved. Fout (UnknownError)”
    This is the error i receive when i enter my wallet-id.
    The plant is registered in the Netherlands.
    Am i doing something wrong?

• Maria Simone Aydin
        Maria Simone Aydin says:

Hi you both!

we need more additional information, so please describe the problem more closely.

Maria

Eradio Rodríguez says:

I have the same problem. This is the error I receive when i enter my wallet-id.
        The plant is registered in Spain

6. Avatar
    Alexander Eggermont says:

Hello,
    When I want to try to add my newly installed Sunny Tripower 4.0 I cannot register to the SolarCoin program. When checking the checkbox and confirming the terms of use and filling in the wallet ID, the error I get is the following: “Participation in the SolarCoin program could not be saved. Error (UnknownError)”
    Can someone please explain what can be the fault? Country of installation is Belgium

7. Avatar
    GIUSEPPE GIUSTI says:

I’m in Italy and my country is listed.
    I don’t have the option in the Data Releases section.
    The Privacy policy is the only one that I can select.

8. Avatar
    Peter Sogaard says:

Dear Reader. I have now activated a blockchain for SolarCoin but when filling in at SMA I just get the ansver “Participation in the SolarCoin program could not be activated. Error (UnknownError)”

Yours sincerely,

Peter Sogaard,
    Denmark

9. Avatar
    SUHAS SHAH says:

Is Solarcoin applicable for systems below 10KW? I am not able to claim it for systems that are 10Kw and above.

• Maria Simone Aydin
      Maria Simone Aydin says:

Hi Suhas,

it is applicable for all systems connected to SunnyPortal with a maximum peak-Power of 150KW. It is necessary that the PV-Plant is connected using Webconnect (either inverter directly connected to the internet or using a Sunny HomeManager /SunnyHomeManager 2)

Maria

10. Avatar
    James says:

HI. I’m in Australia and I went to this page to register but under the ‘data releases’ tab I only have this option:

Agreement of data use via Sunny Places.

Nothing else… Why am I missing the other option?

• Maria Simone Aydin
      Maria Simone Aydin says:

Hi James,

please check if you are plant administrator. It is absolutely necessary to be an administrator for the plant. “Users” are looked upon as “Viewers” and will not be able to change any settings.

Maria

James says:

Hi Maria.
        Yes confirmed I’m a Plant Administrator. I have 2 accounts and both are admins but no go…. Is there anything else I can check?

11. Avatar
    Evgeniy Tarasov says:

§1 SolarCoin represents 1 MWh of solar electricity generation
    1 SLR = 0.045$
    Great of course, but not tangible)

• Maria Simone Aydin
      Maria Simone Aydin says:

Hi Evgeniy,

That is true – but have you seen what happened to Bitcoin 😉

Maria

12. Avatar
    peter sogaard says:

when trying either directly or using the token from SolarCoin i get the reply “Participation in the SolarCoin program could not be activated. Error (UnknownError)”

Peter Sogaard says:

I havent received any feed back neither at mail or here at this site. I also see other having excately the same problem not able to activate ??

HendrikC says:

Hi,

I got the same issue but I have found the solution. You need to make sure all fields are filled in in the tab “operator/installer” and also make sure that all fields from the tab “PV system data” are filled in correctly. In my installation, some fields where empty and that was the reason why I got this error. After filling in all fields correctly, I succeeded to enable the solar coin program with my wallet ID.

Best regards
        Hendrik

• Maria Simone Aydin
      Maria Simone Aydin says:

Hi Peter,

We need a screenshot containing details on the error message and preferably the name of the plant in SunnyPortal.

Maria

Cornelis says:

Dear Maria,

How to submit a screenshot? Via email? What is the email address for us to use?

Awaiting your kind reply with directions.

Peter Sogaard says:

Hi Maria,

Thanks for you reply. To which mail address do i send the screenshots.

PV System is f37fc776-3280-45c7-bbcf-f9cb3d04ecbe

Best regards

Peter

Peter Sogaard says:

Dear Marie,

I never heard any more from SMA – I have also mailed SMA 3 week ago according to the mail address you suggested.

This is all a little peculiar – shall we waste more time on this or what to do

Yours sincerely

Peter Sogaard
        Denmark

13. Avatar
    Christophe Forget says:

Wallet-ID bad

Wallet-ID = indentifiant de l’installation ? (onglet “données de l’installation”)

• Maria Simone Aydin
      Maria Simone Aydin says:

Hi Christophe,

Wallet-ID is the public key of a solarcoin crypto-wallet. If you are not sure yet you can leave it blank. The Solarcoin Foundation will keep you Coins until you provide a valid Wallet-ID.

Maria

• Maria Simone Aydin
      Maria Simone Aydin says:

Hi Cornelis,

I replied under your other comment: please describe what happened and what you did.

Thank yor.

Kind regards.

Maria

Cornelis says:

Steps:

1 – I added my public key in the text line
        2 – Accepted the conditions
        3 – Pressed SAVE
        4 – And next the error was displayed:
        “Participation in the SolarCoin program could not be activated. Error (UnknownError)”.

Please help! Maybe better to use email so I can give details (names etc) over the PV plant?

Cornelis says:

When using email I can also add screenshots Maria! And looking at the responses here on this website I am not the only one with the same problem?

Cornelis says:

Hi Maria,

My PV system identifier is

Please provide directions / solutions for the problem reported?

Cornelis says:

Hi Maria,

My PV system identifier is ec4fa10d-325b-4b6b-a5e2-680929ac7d4b

Please provide solution / directions to resolve the reported issue of not able to participate in SolarCoin due to error : Participation in the SolarCoin program could not be activated. Error (UnknownError).

Cornelis says:

Dear Maria et all at SMA,

Sent emails as requested, got no reply. Sent comments here, got no answers on why we cannot participate. When do we get an answer please with instructions to resolve the issues we encounter?

Cornelis says:

Still no directions received from SMA… Provided systemID, explained the steps I took, provided screenshots of the error displayed in Sunny Portal…

Dear SMA, we are a month later since I reported the issue…

A kind request: Could you please reach out to you customer and start providing help / instructions?

Cornelis says:

Okay. NO help to expect from SMA with regards to errors prompted in SunnyPortal. Not here on website, not on the by SMA themselves suggested email address. After weeks of waiting did not get a single reply. SMA: This lack of providing not any help simply ***SUCKS***!
        My suggestion: Go to the Solarcoin website and create account. Next create a paper or digital wallet. Fill in the data from your PV plant and your public wallet key onto the Solarcoin website account. Add photo of inverter label. Then in the first 12 days of each month the Solarcoins are added to your digital or paper wallet.

14. Avatar
    HendrikC says:

I have the same issue. After entering my wallet-id as described in this article, I receive the error:
    Can we please get support on this?

15. Avatar
    C. Niemeijer says:

Hi,
    I seem to have thhe as some other users when I try to participate.
    The message shown is “Participation in the SolarCoin program could not be saved. Fout (UnknownError)”
    I have my walletID filled in.

The PV-installation-ID is 77450d52-abbf-4ee9-9b80-2cff164eb82f

kind regards,

C. Niemeijer

Cornelis says:

No. Again weeks later still not a single response received from SMA support after reaching out to them…

• Anke Baars
        Anke Baars says:

Hi Cornelis,
        I´m really sorry for not being able to answer you earlier. Have you already checked the field “Country code”? It must also be filled in, so please enter for example the state, your district, department or country (also see blog post).
        Hope, this helps.
        Kind regards, Anke

16. Avatar
    Doug says:

I was able to sign up and I now see SolarCoin is approved though still with zero value. Will I be automatically credited retroactively to my Dec 2016 installation? The system has generated almost 15 MWh. Thanks.

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hi Doug,
      Don´t worry, it just takes some time, up to 72 h. You got it now? Thereafter there will be coins at regular 6-month intervals.
      Anke

17. Avatar
    Peter says:

dear all;

I has taken 1½ month for SMA not to ansver and by reading the string i got a clue from another user which i tried and now it seems working;

Do as follows;

You need to make sure all fields are filled in in the tab “operator/installer” and also make sure that all fields from the tab “PV system data” are filled in correctly. In my installation, some fields where empty and it seems like beeing the reason why I got the error.

Now i am looking forward to see if i will earn any coins 🙂

Yours sincerely

Peter

18. Avatar
    Rob L says:

Hi, Any restrictions on which Sunny Portal plants (equipment models, or plant creation date, etc.) can ‘activate’ this SolarCoin feature? thx

19. Avatar
    Raimund says:

@All: one major issue when claiming solarcoins with sunny portal seems to be the “State” entry in the address field. Unfortunately this entry is required (I believe this is because it is necessary part of an address in the US). Please try to enter your “subregion” in this field (or retype the country).

Another issue is: Plant MUST be connected using either direct Webconnect connection or connection using SunnyHome Manager.

Then: User has to have at least installer rights to access the activation page (this should be fixed soon by SMA hopefully)

20. Avatar
    Philippe says:

@All: Peter and Raimund are right. In “operator/installer” you need to fill in every field, even State or Subregion. E.g. I filled in the province (for Belgium) “Oost-Vlaanderen” and “Vlaams-Brabant” (for the installer). Also in description I filled in something useless in the tab PV system data. I even filled in the fax-number for operator and installer (eventually same as the phone number). Then i was immediately accepted without error.

21. Avatar
    Albert says:

i’ve got few offgrid sites that are connected to one account at Sunny Portal,
    but, all the communication from battery inverters and grid inverters are using RS485 and connected to SMA Sunny WebBox. am i eligible to participate in SolarCoin?

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hallo Albert,
      Thanks for your request. Yes, you can also claim SolarCoin. Unfortunately, it is not possible to register WebBox systems via Sunny Portal; so you need to claim it at SolarCoin foundation.
      Hope you can enjoy your SolarCoin soon.
      Anke