Service Tip: SMA PUK – How to Regain Access to Your System Data

This post was originally published in 2014. The tips and techniques explained may be outdated.

SMA Service tip PUK

As promised in our previous post, we will be covering the SMA PUK (Personal Unlocking Key) in today’s service tip. We explain how your devices can be unlocked to restore normal access to your system data.

Before we get started, take a moment to make sure that you have really lost your password

Before anything else, you should check to make sure that you really can’t find the password for accessing your systems in the Sunny Portal. In a previous article called “Service Tip: Pay Attention When Assigning Passwords in the Sunny Portal,” we mentioned a number of circumstances that could result in your password being changed or overwritten.

If you’re sure you have lost your password, use this form to request a PUK from our Service Line. The PUK code does not come with your inverter.

How it works

Once your request has been received and processed by our staff, you will be able to unlock your inverter and set a new password via Sunny Explorer.

Exception: PV systems with Webconnect

In this case, contact our Service Line staff by phone to avoid permanent data loss.

Entering your PUK in Sunny Explorer

1. Open Sunny Explorer.

2. In the “User group” field, select the “Installer” user group.

3. Enter your PUK into the “System password” field.

4. Select [Next].
☑ Sunny Explorer displays the inverters in the plant tree without padlock icon.

5. Change the inverter password:
– Select the inverter in the system tree.
– Select the “Settings” tab.
– Select the parameter group “User Rights > Access Control”.
– Select [Edit].
– Assign the password you want to the relevant user group.

6. To unlock additional inverters with a PUK:
– Select Options > “Change user group.”

7. Unlocking additional devices one after another with a PUK:
You will need to wait about five minutes between each device, since the passwords need to be sent to the system first.
After waiting five minutes, simply repeat the steps in step 5 in order to unlock the next device.

8. Final step: Set a general system password. This system password will be set as the installer password on all the individual devices and will guarantee access to the entire system so that all modules can be accessed at the same time.

Screenshots showing an overview of these steps

Puk1_en

Puk2_en

Puk3_en

For more information on how to use Sunny Explorer, please refer to the User Manual: SUNNY EXPLORER System Monitoring.

We hope this post will make it easier for you to complete the steps required in order to unlock devices with your PUK. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to add a comment or contact our Service Line staff.

1. Mahmoud says:

Don’t buy this product, no way, I bought sunny boy 1,5/2,5 and configured by Veissmann company, do you know what! I’m just user and I can’t change any configuration as user but I see what how much I got and saved money, and do you know what! The data what I am getting it monthly is not correct 100% and if you want to change your Wifi password the system will not read it so the SMA Solar company not give the authorities to configure your inverter as Installer but user because you didn’t got course and training in them branches so you have inverter but you guest in it as user and they control it by them branches and if you want to change the password for configuration as you forgot it, hhhhaaaaa they will ask for PUK number and for sure they have it ? and you will pay € 15 Basic + € 3.50 per device, and do you know what! They will send you PUK number as user ? guys think twice before you will stuck like me what will save it by solar panels will give it for service??

2. Stuart Leggat says:

I am just off the phone to one of your technical team who advised me to request PUK codes as we cannot access data for one of the inverters on Sunny Portal and it looks like a password issue. He suggested we would require a code for each of the inverters.

Site Address Park Farm

Serial Numbers

STP 20000 TL 30 1900719065
    STP 25000 TL 30 1900718317

Can you please assist

Regards

Stuart Leggat
    Locogen
    Edinburgh
    EH6 7BD

• Julia Stunz says:

Hello Stuart,
      I will send you a document via email, that you have to fill in and send back to SMA UK (service@sma-uk.com).

Regards,
      Julia

3. Ardhos says:

Dear SMA,
    How to read the inverter in cluster controller if every device show in display is lock?

BR//Ardhos

4. Alastair Wilson says:

Hi, I’m pretty certain I am using the correct passwords but I am unable to access my SB 3600TL-21 to retrieve and data in Sunny Explorer. I am using the integrated bluetooth in my Dell Inspiron laptop and it says that it has a good connection. Thanks

• Viktoria Mai
      Viktoria Mai says:

Hello Alstair,

please turn to our service line, which will help you specifically. On this page you will find the right number (at the bottom of the page) for your country.

Viktoria

5. Gordon Geritz says:

I have 1.5/2.5 sunny boy inverter. I cannot coonect to computer. Passwords do not work. I think I made an error setting up the password. How do I get A PUK? I live in Queensland, Australia.

• Carolin Rost
      Carolin Rost says:

Hello Gordon,
      Please contact our Service Line in Australia. The number is 1800 762 287 (toll free for Australia) or +61 2 9491 4200. You can also send an email to Info@SMA-Australia.com.au. The colleagues in our subsidiary in Australia will help you.
      Kind regards, Carolin

6. Indika says:

One of our technicians set up the installer password and he confirmed the password he entered is true. But the next login after creating the installer password he couldnt log in. Now I can not even set up the sunny portal account as sunny portal asks installer password. I requested PUK from India. The PUK send by them also not working. As a company we struggle because of this really bad. The customer is holding his last payment because of this. Please help.

• Jennifer Rößler
      Jennifer Rößler says:

Hello Indika,
      please contact our Service again, as you apparently already did. Our colleagues can asisst you and solve this.
      Kind regards, Jennifer

7. Julio Greca says:

I have 1.5 sunny boy inverter. I cannot connect to computer. Passwords do not work. I think I made an error setting up the password. How do I get A PUK? I live in Brazil.

• Carolin Rost
      Carolin Rost says:

Hello Julio,
      Inverter typ Sunny Boy 1.5 don`t have any Password set defaultly. There`s 2 options to get in touch with inverters Web-UI:
      1. WiFi => double knock at inverters chassis and its blue led starts blinking frequently for two minutes.
      When pressing a WPS-Button on your Smartphone-/Tablet or even your WiFi-Router, devices are gonna coupling automatically.
      If there`s no WPS function as at iOS-Devices, you just need to select this WiFi and will be asked for it`s WPA2-Key => please have a look at inverters label.
      Once coupled (green tick), please open an internet browser and put in inverters IP-Address there. Inverters Web-UI is just opening => at this time you`ll be asked wether logging in on User – or Installer level as well and a free password must be created by the person who`s entering the Web Interface.
      2. Speedwire-/Ethernet => connect your Laptop via Ethernet-Cable to the inverter, open an internet browser and put in inverters Fallback- Ip for Ethernet-Connection (as per manual).

In case you`ve done as described, but can`t remember the password given previously, please do apply for a so called PUK in order to get your unknown password resetted. Here you find the application for a PUK.
      Kind regards, Carolin

8. nelson says:

Hello, I have a connection problem with a sunny boy 2.5 inverter, using the installer password.
    I need a puk password to unblock, how may i take this number?
    Nelson Felix

• Jennifer Rößler
      Jennifer Rößler says:

Hello Nelson,
      with the PUK you can set a new password for your inverter, if you forgort the original one. The Sunny Portal uses the password only to access the devices.
      If you need more information or help, please contact our Service Line by selecting your country from the list. Our colleagues will be glad to assist you further.
      Kind regards, Jennifer

9. layachi zaghba says:

Dear;
    it is possible to recorded data of current and voltage using sunny explorer or an other software from SAM SUNNY BOY INVERTER 3000 HF

• Rhea Terlinden
      Rhea Terlinden says:

Dear Layachi,

Unfortunately it is not possible to record data of current and voltage using Sunny Explorer. This was possible with the Sunny Webbox but this unit has been
      discontinued already.

Rhea

10. Thomas says:

The PUK link form said”Not Found
    The requested URL /dl/22720/PUK-ANTRAG-ZEN151318.pdf was not found on this server.” any other way around it?

• Anna Homberger
      Anna Homberger says:

Hi Thomas,
      Thanks for your comment, we have updated the link. Here you can find the application for the creation of a PUK.
      Sunny regards, Anna

11. Noël Caballé says:

To whom it may concern,

I would like to request a PUK for my new Sunny Boy 5.0 Inverter. Could you please address me to the form I must fill to ask for it as well as the steps I should know to proceed accordingly?. Thanks in advance.

12. gilberto lopez pelaez says:

olvide la contraseña de instalador, como le hago para recuperar la constraseña con el codigo PUK