Service Tip: Pay Attention When Assigning Password in Sunny Portal

This post was originally published in 2014. The tips and techniques explained may be outdated.

The Service Line has been receiving a lot of questions about passwords lately. Some customers want to know why they can no longer access the inverter in a PV system using their password. Why is this happening?

SMA uses various types of passwords. For details, see the technical description: System Monitoring—SMA Safety and Password Concept for Password-Protected PV Systems With Bluetooth® Wireless Technology.

The PV System Password

To prevent unauthorized access, SMA recommends choosing a separate password for each user group (“User” and “Installer”).
All devices with the same password for the “Installer” user group and the same NetID form a system. Therefore, SMA refers to any password that is the same for all the devices of a system as the pv system password.

The devices in the system come with the following default passwords:

“User”: 0000

“Installer”: 1111.

Some customers refer to the password for the “Installer” user group as the “Installer password”.

Problem-Solving

That sounds simple enough. So what is causing the confusion?

To register a system with Speedwire/Webconnect or with a Sunny Home Manager in Sunny Portal, you must enter a pv system password. Important: This is the password for the “Installer” user group that was assigned on-site during start-up. Please enter this in the appropriate field (see screenshot above this article).

It gets more complicated if the default password was not changed during start-up. For security reasons, you cannot simply enter the standard password 1111 into Sunny Portal. What happens if you do? The new password overwrites the default password and applies it to all devices registered in the Sunny Portal system. Please keep this in mind, and be sure to write down the pv system password you set up in Sunny Portal.
If you later try to access your devices on-site (for example with Sunny Explorer) using the default password for the “Installer” user group, it will no longer work. Please use the password that you created as the pv system password in Sunny Portal.

Please do remember that the password for the "Installer" user group and the system password is one and the same password. In this way, you can access all devices in the plant through both, Sunny Explorer and Sunny Portal. All data are displayed.

Please do remember that the password for the “Installer” user group and the system password is one and the same password. In this way, you can access all devices in the plant through both, Sunny Explorer and Sunny Portal. All data are displayed.

By the way: The system password for the “User” user group is not affected because it cannot be changed in Sunny Portal.

Potential Problems During Data Transfer

Even if you understand and follow the procedure described above, complications can occasionally arise during data transfer. There are two possible situations:

• The new pv system password created in Sunny Portal has not been applied to the inverters. This can happen, for example, if the devices cannot be accessed or are not feeding during registration. If you notice that you cannot access the inverters with your current password, or no data appears in Sunny Portal, please try again with the “old” Installer password.
  • Your installation company changed the default system password 1111 to a new password that you do not know. In this case, Sunny Portal cannot access your devices, and for security reasons a new system password cannot be set. The system is still registered in Sunny Portal, but no detailed system data is shown. If this happens, please contact your installer.

Reset Password

If you forget your password, you will need a Personal Unblocking Key (PUK). You can request one from our Service Line using this form. Learn more about it in our upcoming service tip.

• Leonie Blume
      Leonie Blume says:

Hello Rob,
      We have an application for the iPhone. You can download it from the Apple-Store.
      This application synchronizes with Sunny Portal.
      If you can see live values, depends which kind of data logging is used in your plant. Only plants with Webconnect or with a Sunny Home manager are sending live values.

If you have further questions, please call our SMA Service Line in your country. http://www.sma.de/en

Best regards
      Leonie

1. Willem jurgens says:

Hi, I received an old SMA 3300 unit (60V battery unit) as donation, but have no Password (6 digit) as user nor installer. Where can I go to find out, and how to reset installer PW if need be.
    Appreciate your help

• Julia Stunz says:

Hi Willem,

Usually, the default password is sma (for users and/or installers)
      If you are still not able to login using sma as the password, please contact the Service Line and let us know the serial number of your unit so we could work on a solution.
      It is also advisable to provide your contact details as well so the support is even faster – please write directly to Serviceline@sma.de

Julia

2. Barry says:

My installer installed my Sunnyboy 1.5 and assigned a password (which I have) and its connected to the home internet. Unfortunately he didnt register the system on Sunny Portal in time and so I cant use the app. How to I get it registered, is this also done through PUK reset?

3. Matt dawson says:

I have forgotten the installer password I set for sunny explorer, how can I reset the password?

Matt

• Lucas Unbehaun says:

Hi Matt,

please contact directly our service line in Australia, the number is +61 2 9491 4200.

Kind Regards, Lucas

4. velusamy says:

please send me the product unlock key for PV system password.
    i have 2 multigate and recently changed few microinverters and could not add that in the PV system.
    since its asking PV system password which i dont have.
    thanks a million

5. benno smith says:

Is there a sequence for loading inversters and devices? Example: first inverters then sunny home manager then energy meter.
    Thanks

• Jennifer Rößler
      Jennifer Rößler says:

Hi Benno,

Unfortunately, we are not sure if we understand your request correctly.

Regarding complex communication issues, it is advisable to clarify the next steps for troubleshooting in a personal dialogue.
      Therefore, we kindly ask you to contact directly our Service Line, where our colleagues will be happy to provide further assistance.

The contact data for your Service Line can be found on our website http://www.SMA.de

Kind regards, Jennifer

6. Wael Madkour says:

Hi,
    i have a question for you, Dose PUK replace installer password or just user password.
    since some time i need as installer to block access to the parameters area and plant engineers try to access that area.
    Thanks

• Jennifer Rößler
      Jennifer Rößler says:

Hello Wael,
      The PUK actually won´t replace any password. If you lose your password, it is necessary to reactivate the access with the help of a PUK (Personal Unblocking Key).
      Please visit our website http://www.SMA.de to find out more. For further information about the activation of the inverters, please refer to the manual of the respective communication product.

Kind regards, Jennifer

7. Jesus Maués says:

hello, I have a 5000tl sunny boy inverter and I can not access it with the installer user. I already tried the 1111 password. How do I get the password?

• Jesus Maués says:

link not found

Not Found

The requested URL /dl/22720/PUK-ANTRAG-ZEN135017_web.pdf was not found on this server.

8. Chris says:

Hi. I have an sma system with home manager and sunny tripower 25000tl. I have forgotten my of system pasward. Please help me get one

• Annika Linke
      Annika Linke says:

Hi Chris,
      If you have lost or forgotten your PV System password, you can set it new in Sunny Portal. This is possible in the following menu:
      >Configuration >Device Overview >Properties of Sunny Home Manager
      Kind regards, Annika

9. Hrvoje Mintas says:

Dear SMA,

we have a problem with inverter password. New plant was commisioned with one STP25000TL-30 inverter and configured with rotary switches on-site. The webconnect was connected to the router and in the evening that day I registered it on sunnyportal. When prompted for plant password I entered the password I would like to use and now it does not want to connect to the inverter because of wrong inverter passsword (Error code 721). Since nobody changed inverter password during commisioning, what is default inverter password?

Best regards,
    Hrvoje Mintas

• Rhea Terlinden
      Rhea Terlinden says:

Dear Hrvoje,

Usually, the default password for the group “installer” is 1111. For the group “user”, please enter 0000 as password.

Please do not hesitate to contact directly our Service Line if you have further questions.

Rhea

10. Hussam says:

I can’t get in the installer be cause it has been blocked and I forgot the installer password which I have been setting for the sunny explorer, how can I reset the password?

11. Zaw Myint says:

Error Code 721
    I have installed 3 inverters (Tripower STP25000TL) and one of the inverters showing Error code 721 on web monitoring. How could I resolve this?

12. mike says:

I have two SB 5.0 inverters. They are both connected to my wifi with static IP addresses and show 100% connectivity. They both show that Webconnect has a good connection. Originally they both showed up in my sunny portal but after about a week only one device shows up. The other inverter gives an error 721 for an invalid password. Both inverters were set up with the same password and I am able to log into both inverters without any problem. I have called the service line a few times and they are unable to get the second inverter to show up in sunny portal either. The service line tech said that they get communication problems all the time and they are not sure what the problem is.

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hi Mike,
      Please send me your plant data (pv plant name in Sunny Portal) vial e-mail to socialmedia@SMA.de. I´d like to put you through to my colleague, who can solve the communication problem.
      Thanks and best regards, Anke