New Release: Sunny Island 6.0H / 8.0H Now Even Faster To Battery Operation

The Sunny Island battery inverter supports a wide range of on- and off-grid installations with compelling product features—from operation in off-grid areas to home energy management. With the new release, it changes to battery operation even faster if the grid fails.

Current release Sunny Island

Is your off-grid system experiencing a generator or grid failure? That’s no problem for the Sunny Island 6.0 and 8.0. With the new release R1.3, the inverter changes from grid to battery operation within 0 to 20 ms, ensuring that many critical loads receive an uninterrupted supply of power.

The update also offers benefits for grid-connected systems:

• New Webconnect 1.5
  • Much-improved WLAN configuration
  • Integrated web interface features clearer design
  • Current-controlled operating mode for more stable operation in weak utility grids

Click here to go to the firmware update

Download Firmware Update Sunny Island 4.4M

Download Firmware Update Sunny Island 6.0H / 8.0H

1. Avatar
    Ivan snelling says:

I have 2 sunny island 8 both on the new firmware. I am off grid with only a generator. I can do a full charge 100% (58.24 volts) with the generator but am unable to do a full charge using solar only. When charging from solar only, at best i will only get 88%, as the charging voltage is too low to achive a full charge (57.7 volts). I have had this system installed now for 8 months. I am using lithium batteries and REC bms. Can the sunny island achive a full charge off grid, connected to lithium batteries, without using the generator??

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hi Ivan,
      It´s possible to achieve full charge just with solar. Maybe in this case the solar energy was not enough to fulfill the charge? Please note that there should not be any loads or a big excess of PV-energy to reach 100% solar energy charging.
      Kind regards, Anke

Ivan Snelling says:

Hi, we’ve had very good solar exposure today, and the set charging voltage still remains at 57.7 volts (88%)and the sunny island frequency will raise to cut off the charging, the system will only charge to 100% when I set the generator to manually come on the set voltage will change to 58.7 volts and full charge can be achieved.

2. Avatar
    Ivan Snelling says:

Is there an “expert mode” on the new sunny islands?? I have the sunny remote then found out there is no connection for it.

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hi Ivan,
      Sorry to hear that you didn´t get a reply yet.
      Please find the answers to your questions:
      There is no there “Expert mode” anymore in the new SI -12. You can choose “installator” or “user”.

To answer your first question: In the charging process voltage can increase, depending on the size of the current. Please also check the battery temperature as it normally increases, too. The voltage is quite high for 88% SOC, that`s why the SI does not charge more. The Sunny Island starts with the FSPC to protect the batteries for an overcharge! So please never try to charge the battery with the generator if the SI starts with the FSPC!
      I hope this helps.
      Anke

3. Avatar
    Andre says:

Hello, I have three sunny island SI 6.0 configured for three phase which I don’t require any longer. Is it possible to have them setup for three separate single phase units. Thanks

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hi Andre,
      Yes, you can use the SI in a 3 separate single phase systems. You just need to make a new commissioning. Please note that each SI-system needs its own battery bank.
      Anke

4. Avatar
    ivan snelling says:

These are lithium batteries, full charge 100% soc would be 58.7 v, this is the correct set voltage as indicated when the gen set is on. When the gen set is off, and normal charge is happening from sunny boys the sunny island defaults to 57.7 volts for charging, which will only give an 88% soc.

I’ve seen in the parameter list there is settings for the bms, but i cannot see these parameters in the sunny island web user interface.

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hi Ivan,
      This is normal as the battery management system (BMS) from the SI is disconnected once you set the SI working with a Li-ion battery. The BMS of the battery is the one that takes the control of these charge/discharge voltages. It´s not possible to modify the parameters as they are set by the battery manufacturer.
      Kind regards, Anke

5. Avatar
    Jay says:

Hi

I have six sunny islands with MC box 6.3 for one of our off-grid project.
    Old Sunny island used to have very detail settings via Sunny remote controller, and they are listed in operating manual.
    New sunny island seems to be simplified for the parameters. Do you have new list of parameters? It would be great if you can let me know where to find the information.

cheers,
    – Jay –

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hi Jay,
      This document can help you further.
      It´s a “translation” from the old parameters to the new description and where to find them in the new menu.
      Anke

6. Avatar
    Barry McMahon says:

Hi I have 2 x Sunny Boy 2.5 1VL-40 , Sunny Home Manager 2.0 and a Sunny Island 6.0H

I’m connecting a home built 65Ah battery made from gen 2 nissan leaf lithium cells with 48V Rec-bms and SMA compatible interface.

The local Irish SMA agent is not familiar with configuring the Sunny Island and have been trying now for 2 months. I want to configure it myself can anyone help me?

I’m generating lots of good solar electricity but cannot store it.

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hi Barry,
      Sorry, but your battery is not approved for a Sunny Island system. For safety reasons we don´t support the configuration of unauthorized systems. You need to ask your installer/the one who sold you this battery. Otherwise please check the list of approved batteries here. Thanks for your understanding.
      Anke

7. Avatar
    Clinton says:

I have Sunny Island 8.0H with a Honda EU70IS Generator on current control
    Mode i can’t run the generator over the maximum amp 20 amp ( I can’t draw 20 amp from the generator and power from battery at some time if need the system will just blackout of 5sec, it very hard to get the sunny island to run well with generator, the Sunny Island can easily run all the loads by itself 6000w+ and Sunny Boy is also working fine. So why can the Sunny Island, Sunny Boy and Generator all work at same time and take 5kw from Generator 2-3kw Sunny Boy and 1-3kw from Sunny Island battery if need like the Victron inverter Quattro (power assist) as if I have the generator on I can’t run the induction cooker, But it runs fine with generator off. On the Sunny Island and Sunny Boy

Reverse power to generator is off as are still waiting for a answer from Honda
    Reactive power compensation is also off, would it help if it was on?

Also I has lost the generator icon in the main screen

Firmware 1.3.1R

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hi Clinton,
      Normally it should not be a problem to use the generator together with the Sunny Island (SI) and with the Sunny Boy (SB). All the power should be added.
      Do you have a SI 8.0H-11? Then please set parameter 234.03 GnCurNom to 20A. It should limit the current. If it does not work at all, please set the parameter 234.15 GnCtlMod to CurFrq.

If you have a SI 8.0H-12 you should set in the parameters: Generator > Nominal current > 20A, and under “operation” > Type of current limitation > frequency dependent current limitation.
      To have a bit more margin, you can also set 18A.
      I hope, that helps.

Anke

8. Avatar
    Reuben Lewis says:

hi good morning I have an multi cluster system with 12 SI 8.0h and a multi cluster box 12. The multi cluster box say it works with software release 3.5 or higher and the SI 8.0h has a firmware of 1.3 is it incompatible or do they have an updated firmware i can download

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hi,
      For a MC-System with SI.80-11 software release 3.5 or higher is the right version.
      For a MC-System with SI8.0-12 please use the current availabe software from SMA Website, valid version (V1.03.01.R).
      Anke

9. Avatar
    shaun luty says:

When is the next firmware release date for the Sunny Island 4.4m-12 that’s support UK grid connection? G98 /G99? I have a brand new inverter sat gathering dust powered off pending UK firmware. Any feedback welcomed.

Shaun Luty says:

Checked and downloaded 29th June 2019 firmware version 3.00.03.R only selectable country was DE Germany . Are you providing a UK specific. Firmware the first week of July 2019? When is the Uk grid specific firmware being released? I have a nice new SMA battery inverter that I cannot use at the moment.

• Anke Baars
        Anke Baars says:

Hi Shaun,
        Yes, the UK version will be available hopefully this week.
        Kind regrds,
        Anke

10. Avatar
    Michael says:

I have a Sunny Island 6.0, a Sunny Minicentral 11000TL and Trojan Flooded Batteries installed four years ago.
    I have never connected my Sunny Island 6.0 to the internet to receive ANY Downloads and Firmware Updates. Please advice how to do this. I have observed that the display on the SRC (Sunny Remote Control) sometimes gives me gibberish letters and you really have to concentrate to make out the details. Kindly assist. I have not really paid much attention to the system

• Carolyn Schlosser
      Carolyn Schlosser says:

Hello Michael,

If you want to connect your system to the internet it would be the best to contact your installer. He knows your system the best.

Sunny regards,
      Carolyn

11. Avatar
    Joseph Echebi says:

I have a 3 phase, single cluster system with three SI 8.0H-11. one one device s is bad, can I replace just the bad one with SI 8.0H-12?

• Carolyn Schlosser
      Carolyn Schlosser says:

Hi Joseph,

Please contact your installer. He knows your system the best and will help you.

Sunny regards,
      Carolyn

12. Avatar
    CRISTIAN ROS says:

Hi, is there any change to combine in aa three phase cluster 2x SI6.0-12 and 1x SI6.0-11 ? If so , whic updated onto the SI6.0-11 have to be done and how (throug SRC I assume)? Thanks

• Carolyn Schlosser
      Carolyn Schlosser says:

Hi Cristian,

Within one Cluster it is not possible to mix SI-11 and SI-12. An update of the SI-11 to a SI-12 is also not possible. Only complete cluster can be mixed, e.g. MC-Box 12 with 3 x Cluster (9 x SI-12) with 1 Cluster (3 x SI-11).

Sunny regards,
      Carolyn

13. Avatar
    Adnan says:

I have sma sunny island 8. Instead of generator can i have my AC grid connected. So if i lose solar and battrey it connects to AC grid.

14. Avatar
    Frikkie Visser says:

I have a hybrid system with two Sunny Boys and a Sunny Island. After a power failure the battery will charge up to 93% and then reduce COC over a number of days to the low 80% despite the constant trickle charge. Why is this happening? Why is the COC not staying in the 90 ‘s.

15. Avatar
    Reidar Balstad says:

Hi,
    running 3-phase SI8.0-12 now with f/w 1.4.0.R
    Configuration for system is increased self-consumption and backup. I am using an Enwitec automatic transfer switch. Enwitec batfuse and Tesvolt TS25 48v battery system.

When testing backup-functionality (disconnecting mains), the entire system shut down (house goes dark) for ~5 secs before SI’s got online and powered the house. When I reconnected the grid, the external grid was not brought online and this was in events: Ext grid disconnect due to undesired island grid at phase L1
    (405). I suppose since f/w 1.3 the switchover should have been more or less seamless (0-20ms or so) ?

I checked and re-checked all connections, but can’t find anything wrong. Any ideas for troubleshooting? Faulty/bad shielded signal cables from master? Bad mains connection?

RD says:

hello Reidar, I am experiencing a similar challenge and was wondering if you could share a tip on how you resolved this issue. i am yet to get some assistance from the service team here.Thanks

16. Avatar
    Peter Ndlovu says:

I have a 8.2kw Fronius grid tie single phase. I want to add Sunny Island 8.0 as a battery backup ac coupled with Fronius will this work.

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hi Diyar,
      Thanks for your request.
      Unfortunately, I don´t understand your question. What does “van i konet them there face” mean?
      Anke

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hi Tubukei,
      Sunny Island includes the function FSPC (Frequency Shift Power Control).
      Requirement for controlling by Sunny Island: Output-power of PV inverter depends on frequency.
      Anke

17. Avatar
    Sendy says:

Dear sir,

I want to buy SunnyBoy 6, which is has the following specs:
    Maximum PV array power: 9000 Wp
    Maximum input voltage: 600 V
    MPP voltage range: 25 V to 500 V
    Rated input voltage: 365V

I am confused by above numbers. I am planning 2 strings of PV panels, one for each MPPT input. So if I connect my panels in series for a single string and with Vpm adding up, the max number should be 600V, or 500V or 365V per string?

Thanks a lot!

• Carolyn Schlosser
      Carolyn Schlosser says:

Dear Sendy,

Umpp (Inverter feeds in) must be between 210V and 500V. It is not allowed to exceed 600V. Therefore you have to pay attention to the coldest expected module temperature at none working Sunny Boy.

The easiest way to make it sure is to use our planning tool Sunny design.

Sunny regards,
      Carolyn

18. Avatar
    Frits Erasmus says:

Dear SMA support,

I have two Sunny Boy 4000TL-21s and it was running fine (Still is) with 7.2 Kw modules
    Living in South Africa power is cut regularly – Poer supplier calls it “Load Shedding” – just so you know the terms we use.
    I had to add a Sunny Island 8.0H ver 12 to let the PV Modules keep producing power when the grid is out.

I commissioned my Sunny Island with Backup Box and Home Manger 2.0 on Friday afternoon and with the first “load shedding” Friday, batteries depleted to 50%.

I have now tried everything in the web interface (169.254.12.3) -> to change parameters so the batteries will charge from 50% to 100 using either the grid or Solar.

I am using Sealed Gel batteries so the Battery type is set to FLV.

Input is ONLTY Grid or PV (from the two SynnyBoys)

Could you please provide me with the critical the critical setting I should set my SunnyIsland via the web interface to ensure the batteries charge back to 100%.
    Currently hanging at 50%, so I need to charge them before next power outage scheduled for Monday 16h00.

is the link to screenshots of my SunnyIsland settings in the web interface.

Regards

Frits

19. Avatar
    Imo Nkweini says:

Hi.
    I want to confirm if SI 8.0H-11 with firmware v3.1 is Lithium Battery ready using ComSyncIn port as CAN.
    I also want to know what the latest firmware for 8.0H-11 is and link to download it.

Thanks

• Carolyn Schlosser
      Carolyn Schlosser says:

Hi Imo,

Yes, the SI 8.0H-11 is with the FW 3.1 Li-ion battery compatible and the port for the CAN communication between SI and battery is the Comsyncin or the comsyncout. Both ports are bridge inside the inverter, so if you have a single device, the open entrance that it´s not use, should be close with a 8ohm resistance. This resistance comes with the SI device in the accessories.

You can find the most recent firmware updates here.

Sunny regards,
      Carolyn

Imo Nkweini says:

Thanks Carolyn for your response.

The firmware update link above does not contain updates for SI 8.0H-11 according to the specifications there. The are for 8.0H-12 and 8.0H-13 only

• Carolyn Schlosser
        Carolyn Schlosser says:

I’m sorry, you can find it here. Please click on “Archive” then you can search for your inverter.

Sunny regards,
        Carolyn

20. Avatar
    Imo Nkweini says:

The firmware on the link above for “Sunny Island 6.0H / 8.0H Now Even Faster To Battery Operation” is not also available as the link is not leading anywhere.

Imo Nkweini says:

Thanks CaroLyn for updating the link.
        The firmware on the link is not compatible with SI 8.0H-11.
        Can we have a similar upgrade for faster switching time for SI 8.0H – 11.
        I have lots of them installed and my major problem has always been the switching time between Grid and battery. Most of my clients had to buy additional UPS to protect their sensitive appliances

Imo Nkweini says:

There is actually no firmware for 8.0H -11 for faster switching in the Archives there. I was actually requesting for that specific function for 8.0H – 11 as it is in the above link for 8.0H-12.

All I want is for this particular version of Sunny Island to be able to switch from one power source to another without affecting sensitive equipments.

21. Avatar
    Michael ODIBELI says:

We have a SI8.0H-12 Connected to a Sunny Boy 6.0 and BYD Pro 12.8kw Battery.
    The SI8 is unable to connect with the BYD Battery and goes into stand by mode, the indicator lights turn red and eventually the Inverter switches off.
    Please help

22. Avatar
    Ryan says:

Hello SMA!

My location is the United States. I currently have a grid tied system of 19.2kWDC panels connected to two SunnyBoy 6000-US and one Sunny Boy 4000-US. Each of these Sunny Boys currently has a bluetooth piggyback card installed.
    I’d like to install two of the Sunny Island 6048-US in a split phase configuration with an approved battery to give me off-grid power in the event the grid goes down. Does the Sunny Island control the older Sunny Boys via frequency shifting only, or do I need to purchase an SMA RS485 piggyback card for each inverter, replacing the bluetooth piggyback cards? Is there additional SMA hardware I’d need for this type of install?
    Regards,
    Ryan

23. Avatar
    Yonas says:

We have acquired a 50kW SMA off-grid system comprising 275Wpc PV modules, 4 STP20000TLs, 2 battery banks of (2Vx24), 6 of SI6.0Hs with an MC Box 12.
    The question is what happens in the event of lesser output on cloudy moment?
    For example,
    Load = 22kW
    PV Inverter o/p at a particular cloud instant = 10kW
    Battery (Lead Acid) SOC = Full charge (75%)
    Can the SI supply simultaneously with the PV inverter to make up for the 13kW deficiency? Or what happens to the syatem?

24. Avatar
    Maurice Barigye says:

Hello there, I have commissioned an SI8.0-H12 multicluster system connected through an MC-Box 12.3-20 and I have connected the grid through a Grid Connect Box 12.3-20. However the SIs done seem to pick up the grid connection; the grid voltage reaches the ExtVtg port on the SIs without a problem but still the grid light on all the SIs remains blank and when I check on status in the SIs reads “Waiting for valid AC grid”. Has anyone experienced something like this before? Any suggestions??

25. Avatar
    Gary Phillips says:

“Status: Warning / Ext grid disconnect due to overvoltage at phase L1 / none”
    This error is coming up on an Off Grid System with Manual Generator start.
    It is a Sunny Island 6.0 – H11 with Sunny Boy AV40 5kW. Batteries are 6 x BYD B-box.
    Any suggestions to remove the error?

26. Avatar
    Simon says:

Good morning,
    I have a client who has 2x Sunny Island 8.0 H’s version 11 installed.
    He wants to add another Sunny Island 8.0 H to the equation. The version I will be purchasing is a version 13 unit as far as I understand?
    Are the v11 and v13 compatible with each other?
    Can one update firmware to make them compatible if they are not?

27. Avatar
    2ACZ-Engenharia,Lda says:

Dear friend

attached I send the datasheet of the materials you want.
    and brief description below

Panel inverter SMA sanny boy 6KW / 230V
    Battery inverter SMA SUNNY ISLAND 8kW / 230V
    Multicluster boxes 6 SMA

28. Avatar
    Reidar Balstad says:

Hi, for which configurations does this update apply? Single-inverter systems and off-grid only, or does the improved switchover times also apply to three-phase single clusters with automatic transfer switch?

29. Avatar
    Roel Nagels says:

Hello,

can I create a 3phase SI cluster with 1 SMA SI4.4m-13 (master) and 2 SMA SI4.4m-12 (slaves)?

30. Avatar
    Roel Nagels says:

Hello,

I want to ‘upgrade’ my single phase Si system into a single cluster 3 phase SI system.
    Can I combine one SMA SI4.4m-13 (master) with two SMA SI4.4m-12 (slaves)?

Kind regards, Roel

31. Avatar
    Peter Willis says:

Is the Sunny Island Charger 50 still available and supported for direct DC battery charging from PV, in combination with the Sunny Island 6.0H ?

32. Avatar
    David Adade says:

Suppot,

I have a sunny island 8.0 DC coupled with no BMS just regular lead acid flooded batteries. The SI is setup in off-grid mode. I have a sunny 5.0 AC coupled to the Sunny island AC side.

The problem is not seeing where to stop the SI from overcharging the batteries.
    I’m not seeing how to configure the Frequency Shift Power Control.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.