New Release: Sunny Island 6.0H / 8.0H Now Even Faster To Battery Operation

The Sunny Island battery inverter supports a wide range of on- and off-grid installations with compelling product features—from operation in off-grid areas to home energy management. With the new release, it changes to battery operation even faster if the grid fails.

Current release Sunny Island

Is your off-grid system experiencing a generator or grid failure? That’s no problem for the Sunny Island 6.0 and 8.0. With the new release R1.3, the inverter changes from grid to battery operation within 0 to 20 ms, ensuring that many critical loads receive an uninterrupted supply of power.

The update also offers benefits for grid-connected systems:

• New Webconnect 1.5
  • Much-improved WLAN configuration
  • Integrated web interface features clearer design
  • Current-controlled operating mode for more stable operation in weak utility grids

Click here to go to the firmware update

Download Firmware Update Sunny Island 4.4M

Download Firmware Update Sunny Island 6.0H / 8.0H

1. Avatar
    Ivan snelling says:

I have 2 sunny island 8 both on the new firmware. I am off grid with only a generator. I can do a full charge 100% (58.24 volts) with the generator but am unable to do a full charge using solar only. When charging from solar only, at best i will only get 88%, as the charging voltage is too low to achive a full charge (57.7 volts). I have had this system installed now for 8 months. I am using lithium batteries and REC bms. Can the sunny island achive a full charge off grid, connected to lithium batteries, without using the generator??

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hi Ivan,
      It´s possible to achieve full charge just with solar. Maybe in this case the solar energy was not enough to fulfill the charge? Please note that there should not be any loads or a big excess of PV-energy to reach 100% solar energy charging.
      Kind regards, Anke

Ivan Snelling says:

Hi, we’ve had very good solar exposure today, and the set charging voltage still remains at 57.7 volts (88%)and the sunny island frequency will raise to cut off the charging, the system will only charge to 100% when I set the generator to manually come on the set voltage will change to 58.7 volts and full charge can be achieved.

2. Avatar
    Ivan Snelling says:

Is there an “expert mode” on the new sunny islands?? I have the sunny remote then found out there is no connection for it.

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hi Ivan,
      Sorry to hear that you didn´t get a reply yet.
      Please find the answers to your questions:
      There is no there “Expert mode” anymore in the new SI -12. You can choose “installator” or “user”.

To answer your first question: In the charging process voltage can increase, depending on the size of the current. Please also check the battery temperature as it normally increases, too. The voltage is quite high for 88% SOC, that`s why the SI does not charge more. The Sunny Island starts with the FSPC to protect the batteries for an overcharge! So please never try to charge the battery with the generator if the SI starts with the FSPC!
      I hope this helps.
      Anke

3. Avatar
    Andre says:

Hello, I have three sunny island SI 6.0 configured for three phase which I don’t require any longer. Is it possible to have them setup for three separate single phase units. Thanks

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hi Andre,
      Yes, you can use the SI in a 3 separate single phase systems. You just need to make a new commissioning. Please note that each SI-system needs its own battery bank.
      Anke

4. Avatar
    ivan snelling says:

These are lithium batteries, full charge 100% soc would be 58.7 v, this is the correct set voltage as indicated when the gen set is on. When the gen set is off, and normal charge is happening from sunny boys the sunny island defaults to 57.7 volts for charging, which will only give an 88% soc.

I’ve seen in the parameter list there is settings for the bms, but i cannot see these parameters in the sunny island web user interface.

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hi Ivan,
      This is normal as the battery management system (BMS) from the SI is disconnected once you set the SI working with a Li-ion battery. The BMS of the battery is the one that takes the control of these charge/discharge voltages. It´s not possible to modify the parameters as they are set by the battery manufacturer.
      Kind regards, Anke

5. Avatar
    Jay says:

Hi

I have six sunny islands with MC box 6.3 for one of our off-grid project.
    Old Sunny island used to have very detail settings via Sunny remote controller, and they are listed in operating manual.
    New sunny island seems to be simplified for the parameters. Do you have new list of parameters? It would be great if you can let me know where to find the information.

cheers,
    – Jay –

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hi Jay,
      This document can help you further.
      It´s a “translation” from the old parameters to the new description and where to find them in the new menu.
      Anke

6. Avatar
    Barry McMahon says:

Hi I have 2 x Sunny Boy 2.5 1VL-40 , Sunny Home Manager 2.0 and a Sunny Island 6.0H

I’m connecting a home built 65Ah battery made from gen 2 nissan leaf lithium cells with 48V Rec-bms and SMA compatible interface.

The local Irish SMA agent is not familiar with configuring the Sunny Island and have been trying now for 2 months. I want to configure it myself can anyone help me?

I’m generating lots of good solar electricity but cannot store it.

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hi Barry,
      Sorry, but your battery is not approved for a Sunny Island system. For safety reasons we don´t support the configuration of unauthorized systems. You need to ask your installer/the one who sold you this battery. Otherwise please check the list of approved batteries here. Thanks for your understanding.
      Anke

7. Avatar
    Clinton says:

I have Sunny Island 8.0H with a Honda EU70IS Generator on current control
    Mode i can’t run the generator over the maximum amp 20 amp ( I can’t draw 20 amp from the generator and power from battery at some time if need the system will just blackout of 5sec, it very hard to get the sunny island to run well with generator, the Sunny Island can easily run all the loads by itself 6000w+ and Sunny Boy is also working fine. So why can the Sunny Island, Sunny Boy and Generator all work at same time and take 5kw from Generator 2-3kw Sunny Boy and 1-3kw from Sunny Island battery if need like the Victron inverter Quattro (power assist) as if I have the generator on I can’t run the induction cooker, But it runs fine with generator off. On the Sunny Island and Sunny Boy

Reverse power to generator is off as are still waiting for a answer from Honda
    Reactive power compensation is also off, would it help if it was on?

Also I has lost the generator icon in the main screen

Firmware 1.3.1R

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hi Clinton,
      Normally it should not be a problem to use the generator together with the Sunny Island (SI) and with the Sunny Boy (SB). All the power should be added.
      Do you have a SI 8.0H-11? Then please set parameter 234.03 GnCurNom to 20A. It should limit the current. If it does not work at all, please set the parameter 234.15 GnCtlMod to CurFrq.

If you have a SI 8.0H-12 you should set in the parameters: Generator > Nominal current > 20A, and under “operation” > Type of current limitation > frequency dependent current limitation.
      To have a bit more margin, you can also set 18A.
      I hope, that helps.

Anke

8. Avatar
    Reuben Lewis says:

hi good morning I have an multi cluster system with 12 SI 8.0h and a multi cluster box 12. The multi cluster box say it works with software release 3.5 or higher and the SI 8.0h has a firmware of 1.3 is it incompatible or do they have an updated firmware i can download

• Anke Baars
      Anke Baars says:

Hi,
      For a MC-System with SI.80-11 software release 3.5 or higher is the right version.
      For a MC-System with SI8.0-12 please use the current availabe software from SMA Website, valid version (V1.03.01.R).
      Anke

9. Avatar
    shaun luty says:

When is the next firmware release date for the Sunny Island 4.4m-12 that’s support UK grid connection? G98 /G99? I have a brand new inverter sat gathering dust powered off pending UK firmware. Any feedback welcomed.

Shaun Luty says:

Checked and downloaded 29th June 2019 firmware version 3.00.03.R only selectable country was DE Germany . Are you providing a UK specific. Firmware the first week of July 2019? When is the Uk grid specific firmware being released? I have a nice new SMA battery inverter that I cannot use at the moment.

• Anke Baars
        Anke Baars says:

Hi Shaun,
        Yes, the UK version will be available hopefully this week.
        Kind regrds,
        Anke

10. Avatar
    Michael says:

I have a Sunny Island 6.0, a Sunny Minicentral 11000TL and Trojan Flooded Batteries installed four years ago.
    I have never connected my Sunny Island 6.0 to the internet to receive ANY Downloads and Firmware Updates. Please advice how to do this. I have observed that the display on the SRC (Sunny Remote Control) sometimes gives me gibberish letters and you really have to concentrate to make out the details. Kindly assist. I have not really paid much attention to the system

• Carolyn Schlosser
      Carolyn Schlosser says:

Hello Michael,

If you want to connect your system to the internet it would be the best to contact your installer. He knows your system the best.

Sunny regards,
      Carolyn

11. Avatar
    Joseph Echebi says:

I have a 3 phase, single cluster system with three SI 8.0H-11. one one device s is bad, can I replace just the bad one with SI 8.0H-12?

• Carolyn Schlosser
      Carolyn Schlosser says:

Hi Joseph,

Please contact your installer. He knows your system the best and will help you.

Sunny regards,
      Carolyn

12. Avatar
    CRISTIAN ROS says:

Hi, is there any change to combine in aa three phase cluster 2x SI6.0-12 and 1x SI6.0-11 ? If so , whic updated onto the SI6.0-11 have to be done and how (throug SRC I assume)? Thanks

• Carolyn Schlosser
      Carolyn Schlosser says:

Hi Cristian,

Within one Cluster it is not possible to mix SI-11 and SI-12. An update of the SI-11 to a SI-12 is also not possible. Only complete cluster can be mixed, e.g. MC-Box 12 with 3 x Cluster (9 x SI-12) with 1 Cluster (3 x SI-11).

Sunny regards,
      Carolyn

13. Avatar
    Frikkie Visser says:

I have a hybrid system with two Sunny Boys and a Sunny Island. After a power failure the battery will charge up to 93% and then reduce COC over a number of days to the low 80% despite the constant trickle charge. Why is this happening? Why is the COC not staying in the 90 ‘s.